Accompanied the college education first in her long-lasting rise of education in Iraq, has opened the first time the name (Teachers high) in November 1923, .1341 AH, when the proposed Ministry of Education to the Cabinet its inception and a sense of urgency to the teachers for the development of secondary education, to include two parts: natural science and humanity to them and add a section for math later, and accept the graduates of the Teachers of primary and secondary school graduates ...The study was the evening, collected from each student an amount of (15) rupees a month, the equivalent of dinars and 125 fils has been a study in the house the evening to 1929, then turned to the morning study, and the right by the Department of Interior and the duration of the study two years at the expense of the government .
The owners at the Foundation consists of:
- professor shining the exclusive teaching of psychology and philosophy of science and pedagogy .
Professor Abdul Latif for the teaching of the agricultural history of the Arabs .
Professor Joseph Trophy for teaching the history of urbanization, the Iraqi .
Mr. Wadih happier for the teaching of economic geography .
Mr. Hashim Al Saadi to teach geographical Iraq .
Mr. Wadih Abdel Karim to teach physics .
Izz al-Din, a professor of religion to science teaching chemistry and natural history .
The Dean is Dr. Aseel Naji, Lama and his agent, he asked Mr. Mushtaq, who was director of minor Central in 1927.
The following year, add them professors:
- professor d. Naji authentic teaching of the history of civilization
- Rusafi known professor to teach the Arabic Language
- Mr. Jalal Zreik for the teaching of mathematics
- Mr. Ibrahim to improve the teaching of chemistry
- Mr. Shawki Aldandasa to teach the history of Islam
- Muhammad Khurshid, a professor to teach English translation .
In 1931 this house was canceled Fbl of the Ministry of Education.
In 1935 it was re-opening of the house once again was the period of study is two years.
In 1937, increased the duration of the study for another year, making the study period of three years.
In 1937 became a study in the house mixed after accepting the girls.
In 1939 he was a house with a high number of teachers (55) of 1939 became the period of study is four years.
In the academic year 1941_1942 branch of the right to teach foreign languages.
In the academic year of study in which 1942_1943 extended to five years, as added Thoudrah year with a view to prepare new students for the subsequent phases, the study and divided into two sections:
- The first branch of literature: includes Arabic, English, geography and history.
The second branch of science: The study includes the subjects: biology, physics and mathematics .
In 1945_1946 back to the period of study is four years.
In 1949, introduced by the religious lessons in the curricula of Teachers high.
In 1958, named (Teachers high) on behalf of Faculty of Education and inflicted in the same year the University of Baghdad, and after a number of law (28) for the year 1958, which made the main aim of college education is to prepare teachers for the studies and medium-prep, as appointed Prof. Dr. Kamal Ibrahim, Dean them.
The curricula Vetozaat on three types of studies:
In 1968_1969 canceled college education.
In 1974 was re-opened college education has been defined period of study is four years, and accept the graduates of junior high school two branches of scientific, literary, and the number of teachers certified curriculum.
In 1988 the college was divided into two faculties:
College Education First / Averroes: It includes sections in the humanities and the Department of Educational and Psychological Sciences
College education Frame / Ibn al-Haytham: It includes sections on scientific studies and the branch of Educational and Psychological Sciences
In the academic year 1987_1988 has been the development of graduate studies (Masters and PhD)
In 1992_1993 open a branch in the name of methods of teaching the Holy Quran
In the same year opened the evening studies, but it closed in 2003, but opened again in 2009.
The Faculty has seven scientific departments, namely:
Department of Arabic Language
Department of Kurdish language
Department of History
Department of Geography
Department of Educational and Psychological Sciences
Science Department of the Koran.