Amendment of the ministry of higher education and scientific research act (No. 40) of 1988
This act is applicable to the ministry of higher education and scientific research, its administrative formations and associated educational and research institutions.
The purpose of this act is to:
1- To make quantitative and qualitative changes in the scientific, technical and cultural movement and to direct educational and research institutions to achieve continuous interaction between thought and practice towards the achievement of authenticity, scientific sobriety, interaction with human experience, expertise and adoption of international scientific quality standards and higher levels of educational development leading to the building of new generations that seek science and knowledge to be as an effective and influential force in society.
2. Meet the needs of development plans in the branches of knowledge and the requirements of community development.
3 Develop scientific, cultural and artistic relations with the countries of the world to achieve harmony and integration in the fields of science and knowledge, leading to scientific progress.
4 Expand and strengthen cooperation to contribute to the creation of an educational environment with the scientific world institutions.
The task of the ministry’s center is to plan and follow up higher education and scientific research and to coordinate and approve plans submitted by the universities and the Technical Institutes authority to be consolidated into a single state-level plan, supervision of its implementation, holding public conferences and management of scholarship and international cultural relations.
1. The ministry’s center consists of:
A. Minister of higher education and scientific research.
B. Three agents of the ministry and four advisers.
C. Scientific supervision and evaluation body.
D. Department of studies, planning and follow-up.
E. Department of mission and cultural relations.
F. Legal and administrative department.
G. Department of research and development.
H. Department of reconstruction and projects.
2 The ministry’s center carries out by the following specialties:
A. Scientific specialties.
First: Approval of plans for initial and higher studies and follow-up their implementation.
Second: Establishment of scientific, educational, cultural and technical plans for universities and technical institutes’ authority.
Third: Organization of scientific, technical and technical cooperation with Arab and foreign countries, organizations and institutions through the conclusion of conventions.
Fourth: Approval of opening a college or an institute as well as recommending the opening of a university.
Fifth: Approval of curricula.
Sixth: Establishment of the bases for evaluation of Arab and foreign diploma degrees following the secondary school stage and to recognize Arab and foreign scientific university institutions, identification of scientific titles and honorary certificates and their conditions.
Seventh: Approval of study leave, missions, fellowships when necessary for members of teaching staff in Iraqi and foreign universities and community colleges inside and outside Iraq.
Eighth: Holding of educational and evaluation conferences.
B. Administrative and financial specialties.
First: Approval of the annual budget, the final accounts and import plan of the ministry’s center.
Second: Implementation of curricula of scholarship and fellowships.
Third: Appointment of the teaching staff of doctoral degree or equivalent to meet the actual needs of universities and technical institutes.
Fourth: Transfer of teaching staff among universities and the technical institutes’ authority in accordance with the established regulations.
Fifth: Proposing draft laws, resolutions, regulations and issue instructions;
Sixth: Appointment of members of the cultural departments.
1 The minister is the one in charge of the ministry in light of its actions and in directing its policy and with whom it issues and implements under his supervision all decisions, orders and instructions in all relevant to its functions, formations in technical, financial, administrative and managerial affairs within the provisions of the laws, regulations and instructions.
2. The minister is vested with the following powers:
(a) Granting of wages, allowances, compensation and emoluments to the members of the ministry’s center, universities and the technical institutes’ authority in accordance with the laws, regulations and instructions.
(b) Discontinue of studies in universities, colleges or institutes in part or in full for a period of not more than six days.
(c) Delegating some of his powers to his agents, university presidents, heads of bodies and Directors-General at the ministry’s center in accordance with the law.
The minister establishes an advisory council whose members are named by his decision to provide opinions and advice on educational and scientific matters and, if necessary, to meet at his invitation to make decisions on behalf of the minister in person.
First: the ministry’s center consists of the following formations:
1. Scientific supervision and evaluation body: headed by an employee of a special doctorate degree with the title of “Assistant Professor” at least and having a service in administrative and scientific matters not less than (10) years and supported by specialized supervisors whose terms of appointment and duties are determined by instructions.
2. Department of studies, planning and follow-up: headed by an employee with the title of general manager of doctorate degree and having a service not less than (10) years.
3. Department of mission and cultural relations: headed by an employee with the title of general manager of doctorate degree and having a service not less than (10) years.
4. Legal and administrative department: headed by an employee with the title of general manager of doctorate degree and having a service not less than (10) years.
5. Finance department: headed by an employee with the title of general manager of doctorate degree and having a service not less than (10) years.
6. Department of research and development: headed by an employee with the title of general manager of doctorate degree and having a service not less than (10) years.
7. Department of reconstruction and projects: headed by an employee with the title of general manager of doctorate degree and having a service not less than (10) years.
Second: The functions of the Ministry’s center formations are determined by a system proposed by the ministry.